• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Natural remedies for pneumonia/broncitis?

zombiesarepeaceful

Bluelighter
So yeah, I believe I've got walking pneumonia or bad broncitis. Until my insurance kicks back in....I can't get any meds. I already have a script waiting for me at the pharmacy.

So the question is, what can I get, with food stamps (so think food), that will allow me to feel better and maybe get better? I have asthma on top of this so bad, bad combo.

geez, that sounds a bit difficult, no?

I would recommend eating lot of fresh veggie, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds. Stay far far away from refined sugar (table sugar, soda, anything sweetened and white breads). Reduce your dairy intake, and reduce general cholesterol and fat intake a lot. Basically, you need to boost your immunities with food, so you need nutrient dense WHOLE foods that can give you what you need to fight infections. It's a hard battle, it's "easier" with drugs, like antibiotics. If there's a natural food store around, go there. Check out
http://whfoods.org/

There are herbs that you can get at herb stores, but I don't know if that's "food"

If you can get them, go for some astragalus, osha root, pleurisy root, wild cherry bark, yerba santa, yerba mansa, lomatium, elecampane, and echinacea
--the cheapest way to do it is to brew it in a tea.

Oh yeah, if you smoke STOP SMOKING

Drink more water than you can handle, sleep and rest as much as possible. With good rest, food, water, and no toxins (caffein, alcohol, smoke) you should give yourself some strength to kick even tuberculosis in the ass.

There are generic antibiotics that are super-cheap, that is what you need. Ask the pharmacist to find something that is cheaper and have the prescribing doc change it. You're not going to effectively treat pneumonia with lettuce.

Bernie Mac (and who knows how many others) died from pnumonia that they didnt get treated quickly enough.

Cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, 1 tsp each, boiled in water, and drank with honey 2-3 times a day should help you a bit (antiviral/antiseptic/circulatory stimulants). Fresh is better, but dried powders work ok too. Thyme is also an effective antiseptic for your whole body (make tea with it similarly)

I'm not pulling this out of my ass, my information comes from a book: The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by Andrew Chevallier. Its an awesome reference book!

Last edited:
Honey was used by the Egyptians as an antiseptic for the sinuses. Be sure to get raw unpasteurized. Also oil of oregano is fantastic and they should sell it at the grocery store. Have a look at lots of sites that give info on natural remedies.
Just be very careful...I don't know that anything natural will get rid of Bronchitis/Walking Pneumonia completely (but it will definitely help relieve the symptoms) so if you get worse, go back to the doctor and try and find a way to get antibiotics.

Good Luck
Cheers
Lexy

If you have access to one, a Steam Room. Idk how effective it is specifically for pneumonia or bronchitis but it definitely helps your overall respiratory system

Well, hows the walking pneumonia/bronchitis treating you? Have you tried any of the suggestions?

L-cysteine is recommended for increasing immunity in the lungs and helping clear out mucus. Many things I recommend are based on reading different sources rather than personal experience. I have used l-cysteine. It did lessen infections and clear out mucus for me by my observations.L-cysteine spares glutathione, I have not read enough to know if that is the mechanism for its helping with lung infections, but my personal experience is enough for me to recommend it. Nothing equals getting an injection of the right antibiotic in the right dose ime, for rapid recovery from pneumonia or bronchitis.

Thanks guys...

I got some calming tea, with chamomile, licorice, peppermint, valerian root, some other random stuff. The peppermint at least helps my throat. I finally got my insurance back so got antibiotics, codeine syrup, and mucinex dm. I had a field day on that shit. I don't drink nearly enough water so I'm going to try and do that. I'm pretty much ok now, I'm still coughing up mucus and that sort of worries me but it's slowly getting better I guess. I'm gonna try some of these teas you guys mentioned once my food stamps reload. I really want to find some ginger tea cause I'm dealing with some odd nausea lately...I think I'm becoming lactose intolerant.